Thursday, January 19, 2017

I Used to Love to Go Jogging


The following text is a personalization of a video that was created by my daughter, Jessica that can be seen at:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNav9bRL-M&list=PLr_mplrFRmFvmxjNJcr6v5knPym9vGW9d&index=3&t=5s

I used to love to go jogging.

There was something about being in the open air that freed me.  I loved the feeling of my feet hitting  the ground.  I loved the challenge of the big hills and long runs.  I loved the sun shining on my face, and sweat beading up.  I loved feeling the breath of life, flowing in and out of my lungs.  Me and the trail, alone with my thoughts and prayers.  I loved it.

But then it happened.  Sudden pain near my ankle, and then down I went.  My Achilles Tendon ruptured, severely.

You never know what is going to happen when you wake up in the morning.

Circumstances change.  The situations of life present themselves to us.

I do not know about you, but it seems to me that my life has been molded by situations and circumstances that were absolutely outside of my control.  Even more, it has been most painful of these circumstances that have molded me the most.

I was initially very discouraged when I learned that I'd never be able to jog again.  But now I realize that it was important for me to slow down.

I loved to jog, but now I have been forced to walk.

I still get that same sun.  I still feel the breath of life flowing into and out of my lungs.  I can still challenge myself, and even break a sweat.

But now that I am forced to walk, I appreciate the smaller things.  I can hear the birds more clearly.  I notice the different kinds of plant life along the trail.  I take in the aroma of the forest as I never had before.  Sometimes I even stop, hold my hands up in the air, and thank God for all He Is.

You may see more when you are flying, driving, or running, but it was only when I was forced to walk that I realized how much I was truly missing,

The simple, yet profound details of life.

And that has made all the difference. 

No comments: